Following the Joint workshop of 2016 in Potdam Germany, a second Joint Workshop between FACCE ERA-GAS, ERA-Net SusAn & ICT-AGRI 2 was organised on 20-21 February 2018 in Dublin Ireland. The theme of the workshop was "Smart Mitigation of GHG Emissions from Livestock Production".
This 2nd Joint Workshop discussed promising strategies and innovations to reduce GHG emissions from key source categories in livestock production, and was ment to identify priority topics for the 2018 Joint Call planned by FACCE ERA-GAS, ERA-Net SusAn and ICT-AGRI 2 and discuss potential funding instruments and available national resources.
The workshop topic areas focussed on the following priority research topics and promising strategies relating to:
- Evaluation of feed chain
- Manure management
- Reducing nitrogen excretion
Participants of the Joint Workshop were representatives of partners in FACCE ERA-GAS, ERA-Net SusAn & ICT-AGRI 2 and nominated scientific experts in the workshop topic areas.
Download presentations day 1:
- ERA-NET FACCE ERA-GAS - Frank O'Mara (Teagasc)
- ERA-NET ICT-AGRI2 - Niels Gotke (UFM)
- ERA-NET SusAn - Babette Breuer and Elke Saggau (BLE)
- Outcome first joint Workshop - Raymond Kelly (Teagasc) and Elke Saggau (BLE)
- How can research drive industry change on GHG mitigation? - Stan Lalor (GrasslandAgro)
- Smart farming - Andrew McHugh (Smart Farming)
- Challenges concerning reactive nitrogen (Nr) in the feed chain - Albert Sundrum (UniKassel)
- Feed chain and greenhouse gas emissions from the perspective of ruminant nutrition - Dirk von Soosten (FLI)
- Manure Management Chain (MMC) - Dominika Krol (ATB)
- Reducing Nitrogen Excretion in Livestock and Poultry - Tim McAllister (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
Download presentations day 2:
- Funding possibilities for joint calls - Christine Bunthof (WUR)
- Examples of joint research calls - Niels Gotke (UFM)
- Knowledge Hubs: the MACSUR experience - Nicolas Tinois (Juelich)
Participants engaged in an interactive discussion on promising approaches to reduce livestock emissions, framed by national experts and scientist in the area, they provided input into priority topics which will frame the scope of the 2018 Joint Call and they contributed to maximise the impact of all three ERA-NETs by coordinating activities in the areas of common interest.
More info on the results of this Joint workshop can be found in the summarising report.